The fire at Peachtree Bikes caused damages estimated as more than $1.4 million in property and contents in six businesses, the Atlanta Fire Rescue Department said. The department's Janet Ward said the Estimated property loss was about $960,000, with the contents loss estimated at $500,000.
It appears that six businesses were affected, most by smoke damage.
The fire did major damage to Peachtree Bikes, according to Ward. There was some smoke damage to a nearby bakery and parked cars.
Ward said the fire was knocked down at 8:40 p.m. The first unit arrived at 8:03. Sixteen units, including engines, trucks, battalion command vehicles and paramedic units, responded. Sixteen personnel worked on suppression, one EMS staffer and 11 other members of the department worked the fire.
No one was injured.UPDATED: Photos from Buckhead resident and Environmental Impact founder Holly D. Elmore and Patch Editor Hunt Archbold.
The Atlanta Fire Department responded to a fire call at Peachtree Bikes at 8 p.m. Wednesday.
The longtime Buckhead business, located at 2823 Peachtree Rd NE, could be seen clearly engulfed
in flames on an Instagram video post by mr_atlanta_ga, Atlanta's Wes
Lambert. He said it took five minutes from the time the fire started to the
start of his video.
While it is not known what started the fire and it remains under investigation, Lambert told Patch through an email that a sign appeared to spark it.
"We heard a loud explosion and scream from our seat outside Fellini's and rushed over to see black smoke coming from the sign and then it burst into flames setting off the fire inside. The sign popped dozens of times as the front windows shattered from the debris."
Traffic in both directions was blocked near the 2800 block of Peachtree Road as many nearby residents gathered to watch firefighters battle the blaze that gutted the bike shop while sending flames up to 15 feet in the air.
The bike shop was closed at the time of the fire, which also caused smoke damage to other businesses, including Cacao and Woofgang Bakery & Grooming, in the small strip mall near the Garden Hills neighborhood. A temporary power outage in the area was also suffered as the blaze burned power lines.
There were no injuries reported. Check back with Patch for more on this fire.