The Atlanta-Fulton Emergency Management Agency is urging residents to take precautions for their health and safety during the extremely hot weather predicted over the weekend and the next several days.
A number of Fulton County facilities will be available to serve as cooling stations for residents who do not have access to air conditioning. Residents are also urged to check on neighbors without air conditioning, particularly seniors.
AFCEMA also offers the following tips to help residents cope with extreme heat:
- Stay indoors in air-conditioned spaces as much as possible and limit exposure to the sun.
- Dress in loose-fitting, lightweight and light-colored clothes that cover as much skin as possible.
- Familiarize yourself with the medical conditions that can result from over-exposure to heat, including heat exhaustion and heat stroke to help lessen health threats and harm.
- Avoid strenuous work during the warmest part of the day. Use a buddy system when working in extreme heat, and take frequent breaks.
- Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
- Make sure pets have plenty of water and shade. Be careful to not over-exercise them, and keep them indoors when it's extremely hot.
- Closely monitor a local radio station, TV station or NOAA Weather Radio for the latest information on excessive heat watches and warnings.
FULTON COUNTY COOLING STATIONS
The following Fulton County senior centers will be open on Saturday, June 30 and Sunday, July 1, from noon to 6 p.m.
- Dorothy Benson Senior Multipurpose Center, 6500 Vernon Woods Drive. Atlanta, GA 30328
- H.J.C. Bowden Senior Multipurpose Center, 2885 Church Street. East Point, GA 30344
All 33 branches of the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System will be open on Saturday, June 30. Check www.afpls.org for hours and locations. In addition, the following branches will be open on Sunday, July 1 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Central Library, One Margaret Mitchell Square, Atlanta, GA 30303, 404-730-1700
- Auburn Avenue Research Library, 101 Auburn Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30303, 404-730-4001
- Bowen/Bankhead Branch, 2685 Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy, NW Atlanta, GA 30318, 404-792-2646
- East Point Branch, 2757 Main Street, East Point, GA 30344, 404-762-4842
- Northeast/Spruill Oaks Branch, 9560 Spruill Road, Johns Creek, GA 30022, 770-360-8820
- Ocee Branch, 5090 Abbotts Bridge Rd., Johns Creek, GA 30005-4601, 770-360-8897
- Ponce de Leon Branch, 980 Ponce de Leon Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30306, 404-885-7820
- Roswell Branch, 115 Norcross St, Roswell, GA 30075, 770-640-3075
- Sandy Springs Branch, 395 Mount Vernon Hwy NE, Sandy Springs, GA 30328, 404-303-6130
- South Fulton Branch, 4055 Flat Shoals Road, Union City, GA 30291-1590, 770-306-3092
- Southwest Branch, 3665 Cascade Road SW, Atlanta, GA 30331, 404-699-6363
- The following Fulton County Recreation Centers will be open on Sunday, July 1 from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Burdett Gymnasium, 2945 Burdett Road, College Park, Georgia 30349, 770-996-9145
- Sandtown Park & Gymnasium, 5320 Campbellton Rd., SW, Atlanta, Georgia 30331, 404-346-8360
- Welcome All Park & Multipurpose Facility, 4255 Will Lee Road, College Park, Georgia 30349, 404-612-4058