Georgia DOT and the City of Atlanta (COA) will begin the recently combined waterline improvements and roadway safety improvements along Northside Drive, 2.4 miles from I-75 to just north of the intersection at Northside Parkway in July.
Construction is scheduled to last between 18- 24 months and be completed by spring/summer of 2014. Lane closures will be in effect on weekdays and weekends from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
The Georgia DOT is urging drivers to avoid this section of Northside Drive during construction hours, as only one lane in each direction will be open.
This project, which most recently had a let date in June, is anticipated to improve the safety and efficiency of Northside Drive by removal of the reversible lane, which has caused cofusion among drivers.
This project includes:
- Replacement of the existing waterline by COA
- Conversion of existing reversible lane from I-75 to Collier Road to a southbound through lane
- Addition of right and left turn lanes from Northside onto eastbound Collier Road
- North of Collier Road, converting existing reversible lane to a two-way left turn lane until it connects to the existing four-lane section
- Sidewalks will extend to Peachtree Creek
- Signal upgrades and ADA-compliant wheel chair ramps reconstructed at each intersection.