The deadline to register to vote in Georgia's general election is only one week away.
Georgia residents must register to vote by Oct. 9 to be able to vote.
Unsure if you're registered? Visit the Georgia Secretary of State website.
What's on the ballot?
Voters will decide if the state can override local school boards' decisions on rejection of charter schools. The measure, House Resolution 1162, would mean amending the state's current constitution.
The ballot will also allow voters to indicate support or opposition for stopping unlimited gifts from lobbyists to state legislators.
Georgians will also be able to vote on two tax-related issues: adoption of an income tax credit for home energy costs and a reduction of sales taxes on products made in Georgia to help small businesses.
Election Day is Nov. 6, and the polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you don't know which precinct you're zoned for, check your Voter Precinct Card or visit the My Voter Page on the Georgia Secretary of State website.
To Register to Vote, You Must:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a legal resident of the county.
- Be at least 17 1/2 years of age to register and 18 years of age to vote.
- You must register or change your address at least 30 days before an election in Georgia.
- There are special requirements if you register for the first time in Georgia by mail. (See below)
- Once you are registered to vote, you will receive a Voter Precinct Card, which lists your voting location and representative districts.
Ways to Register
- Print the registration form, which you must sign and mail in. If you're registering for the first time in Georgia by mail, there is an additional requirement: Enclose a copy of one of the allowable types of ID in the same envelope with your registration application. If you forget to enclose your ID with your application, it could delay your voting process the first time you go to the polls.
- Visit the Fulton Board of Elections main office at 130 Peachtree St
Suite 2186, Atlanta. It's open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Call (404) 612-7020 to have an application mailed to you
- Register to vote when you get your driver's license.
- Register at any when you apply for a library card. Or any time you are at a library, you may pick up a blank application and mail it in yourself.
Vote by Mail
- Any voter may apply for a vote-by-mail ballot—no reason is required.
- Applications are available here.